[Python-talk] Pyserial questions

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 11:41:20 EST 2009

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Bruce Labitt
<bruce.labitt at myfairpoint.net> wrote:
> In python under windows, is it possible to set up a timed event that
> sends a serial (binary) message to a device every 50ms and
> 'simultaneously' reads a message (serial binary) data from the same
> device?

  How important is it for these events to be synchronous throughout
the design?  In other words, does the thing you're talking to have to
operate in lock-step with Windows?  Or is just important for
everything to be able to "keep up" with the data flow?  If it's the
latter, the buffer on the UART of the serial port should make things a
lot more practical.  You can even get more expensive serial cards with
bigger buffers.

  If you have to keep everything in lock-step, real-time synchronous,
I don't think you'll be able to do it with a generic Windows OS.  Or
generic Linux, for that matter.  Not sure; I've never done anything
like that.  Just years of helping run BBS and IP dial-up pools that
taught me something about serial port buffering.  :)

-- Ben