[Python-talk] Topic Idea

Lloyd Kvam lkvam at venix.com
Wed Mar 12 17:19:49 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-09 at 22:28 -0400, Cole Tuininga wrote:
> Hey all -
>
> I had an idea for a meeting topic, if anybody feels up to speaking on
> it.  :)  I'm getting ready to start a new project and one of the things
> I'm going to need to make a decision on is an ORM.  Can/will anybody
> speak on differences/strengths/weaknesses of some of the various Python
> ORMs that are out there?
I expect I could probably talk about SQLAlchemy at the April meeting.
With luck, I'll have written enough code by then to have some useful
experience.  (My SQLAlchemy work so far has been on my time.)

It's worth noting that rolling your own objects from SQL results is not
too difficult.  The "Python Programming on Win32" book shows a DataSet
class that uses a list of names and a list of row-tuples to work with
queries.  For modest sized result sets, this works pretty well.

> Of particular interest to me are:
>
> SQLAlchemy (http://www.sqlalchemy.org/)
I've been lightly using SQLAlchemy in conjunction with TurboGears.  I am
satisfied with their approach, but have gotten frustrated with
translating SQL into their functions/syntax.  I don't know yet how easy
it will be to code around DB assumptions that may not fit my client
databases.

> SQLObject (http://www.sqlobject.org/
I looked at it some years ago and was not satisfied with the parameter
handling.  The approach seemed to simplistic to reliably protect against
SQL injections.

I know nothing of these.

--
Lloyd Kvam