[Python-talk] Python this week

Bill Sconce e-mail addresses are not shown in archives
Mon Jan 21 23:11:45 EST 2008

PySIG                    Manchester, NH                  24 January 2008
                Holiday-Break nonMeeting!  Redux
                     (Snowstorm not allowed)

PySIG -- New Hampshire Python Special Interest Group
Amoskeag Business Incubator, Manchester, NH
24 January 2008 (4th Thursday)   7:00PM

The monthly meeting of PySIG, the NH Python Special Interest Group,
takes place on the fourth Thursday of the month, starting at 7:00 PM.
Beginners' session precedes at 6:30 PM.  (Bring a Python question!)

The Holiday-Break nonMeeting is still ON...  well, even if rescheduled.
Friendly discussion; book criticism; maybe a tiny Module of the Month;
assuredly, good cheer and Python camaraderie among survivors of the
holiday season thus far.  Everything as was planned for December 27th,
except the snowstorm.  [It says here.  Forecast: 3 above zero, though.]

And of course: Janet's cookies.  Unfortunately, the airplane cookies
have been eaten.  BUT.  There's a _fresh_ batch of oatmeal cookies,
and maybe "goucherettes"!   [Have we a volunteer for milk?]

[Aside to CuriousInManchester: yes, the empties have hopes...]

Book criticism (and recommendations) -- we've been asked what PySIG
recommends as beginners' books.  Bring your favorites (or non-
favorites) and we'll compare notes.  Of course, those of us who now
have the DjangoBook will be bringing them to show off.  (Would it
count as a book review if we spent 10 minutes following the DjB
instructions for installing and demonstrating a Django server?)

TMoM: hashlib.  Unbelievable how easy these things are in Python.
"Batteries included."

Other Tiny Modules of the Month welcome, if anyone else has a
favorite...

Plus:
o Our usual roundtable of introductions, happenings, announcements

o Gotcha contest
    - Got a favorite "gotcha"?  Bring it and share...

o Bill's excuse for not being better prepared (Presidential-primary
  recounts).  Python is involved.  Film at 7:15.

o Lightning talk: Simple CSV Text Filters

And of course, milk & cookies.
  The JBD Contingency Cookie will also be there, as always.

6:30   Beginners' Q&A
7:00   Welcome, Announcements - Bill & Ted & Alex
7:10   Milk & Cookies - Bill & Janet
7:10   Favorite-gotcha contest
7:15   Python helps in the recount - Bill
7:25   Simple CSV Text Filters - Ray
7:30   TMoMs - hashlib - Bill
7:40   Book reviews/criticisms - all
8:00   Django installation demonstration (optional)
8:30   Open discussion
9:00~  Adjourn

About PySIG:
    PySIG meetings are typically 10-20 people, around a large table
    equipped with a projector and Internet hookups (wired and
    wireless).  We encourage laptops and a hands-on seminar style.
    The main meeting starts at 7 PM; officially we finish circa 9 PM.
    Everyone is welcome.  ("Membership" is anyone who has an interest
    in the Python progamming language, whether on Microsoft systems
    or Linux or OS X; or cell phones, mainframes, or space stations.
    We have everyone  from object-oriented gurus to recovering COBOL
    programmers.)  Tell your friends!

Beginners' session:
    The half hour before the formal meeting (i.e., starting at 6:30PM)
    we have a beginners' session.  Any Python question is welcome --
    whoever asks the first question gets the half hour!  Questions are
    equally welcome by mail beforehand (in which case we can announce
    them) or at the meeting.  (As are all Python questions, anytime.)

Mailing list:

About Python:
    "Python is a dynamic object-oriented programming language that
    can be used for many kinds of software development. It offers
    strong support for integration with other languages and tools,
    comes with extensive standard libraries, and can be learned
    in a few days.  Many Python programmers report substantial
    productivity gains and feel the language encourages the
    development of higher quality, more maintainable code."

    "NASA uses Python...so does Rackspace, Industrial Light&Magic,
    AstraZeneca, Honeywell, and many others."

    Google: "Python has been an important part of Google since the
    beginning, and remains so as the system grows and evolves."
    -Peter Norvig

    http://www.python.org

About Amoskeag Business Incubator:
    Our gracious hosts are the Amoskeag Business Incubator, an
    organization providing a supportive entrepreneurial environment
    that stimulates the growth of businesses to ensure economic
    vitality and encourage job creation, by providing affordable
    office space and technical assistance to early stage companies.
    PySIG thanks the ABI for their generous hospitality.

    http://www.abi-nh.com

Directions (thanks to Ted Roche for improvements to "from the north"):
    PySIG NH meetings are held at the Amoskeag Business Incubator,
    33 South Commercial Street, Manchester, NH.

    Coming in to Manchester using I-293, from the north:
        o Use Exit 6 from I-293.  Stay to the right on the ramp,
          yield twice to traffic incoming from the left, cross back
          over I-293 and accept one merge coming in from your right.

        o Then get in the right lane, and stay there, over the river,
          and onto the Canal Street exit ramp.

        o Take the first right off Canal Street onto North Commercial
          Street.  Enjoy the scenic mill buildings as the street turns
          into Commercial Street.

        o Coming to the traffic light get in the middle lane.  South
          Commercial Street starts on the other side of the light.
          You go straight through (and join the folks coming from the
          south at step * below).

    Coming in to Manchester using I-293, from the south:
        o Use the Granite Street exit.  Turn right (east).  Go under
          I-293 and cross the bridge over the Merrimack River.

        o Turn right (south) at the first light after crossing the
          bridge.

        * This is South Commercial Street.  Go past one parking-lot
          entrance, turn right into the second one.  33 Commercial
          Street will be right in front of you.  You may go in via
          either the ramp or the door and three steps inside.

        o Inside.  Up the stairs if via the door.  Go through the
          glass doors - follow the diamonds on the floor.  Go left
          at the last diamond.   (Under a sign which says
              "<- Amoskeag Small Bus. Incubator").

        o More diamonds, another sign...  much glass and office
          space for SNHU; turn left there, 4 more diamonds and
          you're at the glass doors for the Incubator.  An "abi"
          sign is above.

        o Through the doors, straight down the hall.  The ABI
          Conference Room is on the left.