[Python-talk] Kent's Korner?

Ric Werme ewerme at comcast.net
Fri Oct 19 22:17:52 EDT 2007

> Ric Werme wrote:
>
> > One thing I was thinking of using Beautiful Soup for was in code I need
> > for a Peridocals Mail permit to convert people's addresses to the ZIP+4
> > code.  See http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp .  The result is a page
> > with a 200 line body (and 700 line head) and changes every so often, I think
> > in part to annoy bulk converters (I do a dozen or two a month).
>
> They seem to have an XML API, why not use that?
> http://www.usps.com/webtools/address.htm
> http://www.usps.com/webtools/htm/Address-Information.htm

In large part because they didn't exist when I had to start tracking ZIP+4
addresses for my locally-maintained labels (most come from Mensa's national
site and are processed through USPS-approved commercial products).  That was
about 10 years ago.  Also, the APIs are designed more commercial uses
like Amazon and some products require submitting sample return shipping labels
and other weird stuff.  It seemed easier to keep up with HTML changes and
stay under the radar.

	-Ric