[Python-talk] accessing remote Microsoft SQL database from Linux using Python

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Fri Sep 22 19:16:42 EDT 2006

Python wrote:
> I've been using the freetds library and Sybase python module to access a
> remote Microsoft SQL server.  This appeared to work OK.
>
> In actuality, the charvar fields that were more than 255 characters were
> getting truncated.  I believe the problem is in freetds.  The
> description of the cursor shows field lengths of 255 and I did not have
> any cross check against the remote database.

You could try pymssql, though it also runs on top of freetds so that may
not help.

The state of Python access to SQL Server seems to be pretty poor AFAICT.
Seems like there is little interest in talking to MSSQL in the Python
community.

If Java / Jython is an option, I have had good success with Microsoft's
JDBC driver on Windows; it is also available for Linux.

Kent