[Python-talk] accessing remote Microsoft SQL database from Linux using Python

Lloyd Kvam lkvam at venix.com
Sat Sep 23 16:06:12 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 18:02 -0400, Python wrote:
> I've been using the freetds library and Sybase python module to access a
> remote Microsoft SQL server.  This appeared to work OK.
>
> In actuality, the charvar fields that were more than 255 characters were
> getting truncated.  I believe the problem is in freetds.  The
> description of the cursor shows field lengths of 255 and I did not have
> any cross check against the remote database.
>
> It's a commercial application, so I can't just grab mxODBC.  I also
> don't know if it would work anyway.
>
> I would appreciate a kick in the right direction.

Not sure anyone cares, but the solution turned out to be in the
	/etc/freetds.comf
file.  I created a server entry that specified the protocol version to
use (version 8).  Apparently the protocol version does not get
negotiated automatically.  Now the correct field sizes are getting
reported.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp.