[Python-talk] October meeting topics

Lloyd Kvam lkvam at venix.com
Thu Sep 22 10:29:41 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 09:32 -0400, Kent Johnson wrote:
> Bill Sconce wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 06:28:47 -0400
> > Kent Johnson <kent37 at tds.net> wrote:
> > Speaking of school, we'll want to hear how the Python class
> > is going!  Maybe at the October meeting?
>
> Nothing good to report here - I didn't have any signups so there is no class.
>
> Sigh. I'm giving up on Python advocacy, I'm no good at it. I feel like I'm standing on a corner trying to hand out chocolate bars and no takers. I might as well just stay home and eat them myself :-)

The voice of one crying in the wilderness....

My daughter went to Skidmore.  Her programming 101 course was taught by
a Math Dept. professor and was based on C++ (having just recently
switched from Pascal).  I got to meet the guy and urged them to move
into the 21st century with Python.

The school turned Comp. Sci. into a separate department and brought in a
former Dartmouth prof to lead things.  He, of course, had them switch
from C++ to Java.

I've had no luck advocating Python either outside areas where I could
force the decision.  I've also been totally unsuccessful at even getting
any discussion about a rational approach to choosing a language.  Once I
concede that there are areas where C++ or Java could/would be better
than Python, then the response is to just reject Python totally.

On projects that I control I can insist on Python.  I've gotten my kids
to learn Python, but they don't actually use it.  My daughter is now
working for the Red Cross doing blood drives.  And my son is an
engineering student (erau.edu) where they use various Java dialects for
everything.