[DLSLUG-Discuss] Java fluke, double precision pitfall

Roger e-mail addresses are not shown in archives
Thu Dec 29 04:00:27 EST 2005

Hello everyone,

Yes, I'm still a Java nut, but...

While I was getting beaten in a TopCoder contest, I discovered this fluke.

I reduced the "fluke" to a few lines of code as possible.
When I ran the enclosed program, I got the following output.

1.2 minus 1.0 = 0.19999999999999996

I'm able to find ways around this by type casting and using the BigDecimal object. I just thought
I would share this random tid bit with you guys.

-Roger

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com